Saturday 5 January 2013

Walk the talk


Show with your actions


The day you start institutionalizing “walk the talk” life shall show the dream to reality path. – Dr. V. V. Rao.

Often people say one thing while their actions indicate something else. Therefore, one of the fundamental principles for a person of character and discipline would be to consistently be able to “walk the talk” and that would mean practicing what you preach, not merely in words, but in deeds and action. As it has rightly been said, “Actions speak louder than words.”

Citing an example, ‘The joy of the nudge Olympics London 2012’:Within Olympic venues each worker was given a single task so that nothing would distract him or her from the main task and in turn keep the focus intact which might be a simple task such as carrying the kit bag to the starting block, removing a rake and smoothing the sand. “Simplicity and clarity” are the guiding principles, says Paul Deighton of the London organizing committee of Olympics. The volunteers were rewarded only with a garnish purple-and-red uniform and that was an actual display of “Walk the Talk” of the term “Volunteer”. [Economist July’2012].

If I say I am punctual, I have to demonstrate through my actions by being punctual about time, about my responses, about actions that I need to take. Even basic acts, such as phone-call which I promised to make, about any action or promise that needs me to deliver as promised – and more importantly on time.  Punctuality needs to be associated with my every action and thought. I cannot believe myself to be punctual if I cannot establish that fact through my own actions.  When I arrive late for a meeting, I do not respond to a call as promised, when my e-mails remain unacknowledged.

People say they want healthy food, but at the same time junk food vendors still make millions each year.  People say they want awareness of the world affairs, and yet they tune to 24/7 coverage of daily soaps. These may sound like trivial things that one may tend to overlook, however, when I say “walk the talk”, it would mean, I need to be able to practice in every small or big action and deed what I talk. It means to back up what I say with my actions and our bite can’t be worse than our bark.

No comments:

Post a Comment